There are many factors that will negatively affect your metabolism. As we age our metabolism slows down, that’s just a part of life. Luckily there are ways to Speed up Your Metabolism too! So don’t get down about your slower metabolism, get up and do something!
Tips to Speed up Your Metabolism:
- Drink more water. Drinking water helps your body burn fat, and after drinking 1-2 glasses your metabolism boosts up to 30%.
- Make sure you eat breakfast. Eating breakfast starts your day off right – and revs your metabolism up first thing in the morning.
- Eat enough calories – and often. Making sure you eat enough calories, and often enough throughout the day will keep your body from going into starvation mode, which slows down your metabolism. Try and eat every 2-3 hours!
- Build some lean muscle. Muscle burns more calories then fat does. Building lean muscle can help burn extra calories, by up to 100 calories per day!
- Try not to sit for too long. Sitting down for more then 20 minutes at a time severely slows down your metabolism. It’s not always possible – but try getting up every 20-30 minutes. Take a few seconds to walk around, or do a few jumping jacks.
- Eat spices like cayenne pepper, or chili peppers. The heat helps spike your metabolism. Keep some on hand and add it to stir fry’s, pastas, or crock pot meals.
- Interval training. When you are exercising, increasing intensity can burn more calories in a shorter amount of time, and it will raise your calorie burn even after your workout is over.
- Get enough sleep. When you don’t get enough sleep it slows down how many calories your body burns throughout the day. Try and get 8 or more hours of sleep.
- Sip on some Green Tea. The active ingredient in green tea increases your metabolism. Plus, green tea is full of antioxidants!
- Buy Organic. The pesticides that are used on produce are bad for your metabolism and your thyroid. Eating organic keeps your metabolism going at full capacity.
As we get older, we need to work harder to lose weight and maintain weight, that’s just a fact of life! If we are conscious about making sure we get our exercises in regularly, and eating a healthy, balanced diet, there is no need to fear getting older or fearing our metabolism slowing down.
Once you know and understand how your body works as we age, it’s a lot easier to get motivated and create a plan that works for you!
When you are 20, it’s a lot easier to digest that double cheeseburger or down a few beers. In your 30s or older… It get’s a little more complicated and we just need to realize, we can’t eat and drink like we did when we were younger! That doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy treats on occasion though!
If you liked this, you might also like:
- Misconceptions About Burning Body Fat
- Spotting Fad Diets
- The Truth About Detox Diets
- 3 Smart Weight Loss Habits
*This post contains affiliate links.*