It’s is so important to think about safety when you are running. You never know when something could go wrong on a run, especially if it’s a long one, so you want to make sure you are prepared. These 4 Safety Tips for Running can help make sure you are prepared! Be safe!
4 Safety Tips for Running
- Stay hydrated. In the summer it is important to stay hydrated or you run the risk of becoming dehydrated. You don’t need to worry about it if you are only going on a short run, but for longer runs consider taking a hydration belt or handheld water bottle. If it’s really hot out, be safe and take some water, or plan your route around public drinking fountains. You can also run very early in the morning, or late at night when it’s cooler.
- Tell someone where you will be running. Let a friend or family member know where you will be going, and about how long you expect to be gone. This way someone knows where to find you if you run into trouble. It’s not something we like to think about, but it should be something we keep in the back of our head. If you are running on a trail and injure yourself, you want to make sure someone comes looking for you.
- Always keep ID on you. If you do run into trouble and someone finds you they will need to know who you are and if you have any serious allergies or health conditions. You can get something to wear on your wrist, or on your shoe, that lets people know the important details. If you fall and hit your head, ID is very important to have on you.
- Keep your laces in check. If one of your laces becomes untied you could trip and take a nasty fall. You can help prevent this by wearing elastic, locking laces. They help to secure your shoes quickly and efficiently with no tying needed. They are perfect for running, golfing, soccer, whatever your sport is! I wore locking laces during a mudrun and I was SO happy because I never had to stop and tie my shoes.
- Don’t Chew Gum. I never chewed gum while running because I found it made it harder from me to regulate my breathing but I recently learned that it is actually dangerous to chew gum while running. When you chew gum while running, you run the risk of choking.
And there we have it! These are tips I try to implement if I am running outside, which is just a small price to pay so I don’t have to run on the dreaded treadmill!
Do you implement any of these tips when you are running? These tips can help keep you safe while running. Please be sure you implement some, or all, of these tips if you run by yourself frequently.
Stay safe out there!
Those are some great tips. I will keep these in mind for when I condition myself to fun again.
Staying hydrated is so critical and it seems like a lot of people who should know better overlook it. We had lots of guys who would fall out of runs in the Army because they weren’t drinking enough. Well, water that is, a lot of them were drinking plenty…