It’s no secret that strength training is a must when it comes to running. Studies have shown that if you are only running and avoiding strength training and cross training you are much more likely to get injured.
To be honest, I hate strength training. I would much rather do double the cardio. I know that I have to do it though. I like to come up with quick workouts that require little to no equipment. Like this Strength Workout For Runners that requires only a set of dumbbells!
Do these 10 moves 2-3 times, every 2-3 days for a full body workout that targets the areas runners need to focus on. Use whatever weight you feel most comfortable with but make sure you are challenging yourself a bit.
- 30 Second Plank
- 12 Squats with one Weight
- 10 (each leg) Lunges with Weights held over your head.
- 12 Dumbell Row
- 12 Bridges with weight resting on your hips.
- 12 Dumbell curls to over head press. (Do a dumbell curl then immediately move into an overhead press.)
- 12 Pushups
- 12 Calf raise while holding weights in your hand.
- 12 Tricep press
- 12 Heel rocks. (Rock forward onto the ball of your foot, then slowly rock back onto your heel. You may need a chair for balance.)
You can find more quick workouts here!
If you liked this post, you might also like:
- Inexpensive Home Gym Equipment
- Arm Day Workout
- Leg Day Workout
- Strength Training for Runners
- Quick Strength Training – No Equipment Needed
- Fat Blasting Strength Workout
- Workout Tips for Beginners
I enjoyed doing workout but now that I need it more, I tend to be a bit negligent. I need to have a more positive mind and continue to enjoy it as I did before.:) Easier said but the young ones are pushing me:)